Our History

Brief History About Siquijor

 

Located in the Central Visayas region, Siquijor is the third smallest province  in the Philippines. Legend tells of a “King Kihod” as the source of the island’s name. Old residents also called the island “Katugasan” from the Molave (“tugas”) tress that cover the hill.

 

 

Discovered by Esteban Rodrigez and Juan Aguirre of the Legaspe Expedition in 1565, it was known to the  Spanish conquistadors as Isla de fuego or the “Island of Fire” for Siquijor was literally lit by fireflies at night swarming the branches of its molave trees.

San Isidro Labrador Church - Lazi, Siquijor
St. Francis of Asisi Church - Siquijor, Siquijor
San Isidro Labrador Convent - Lazi, Siquijor

Siquijor, the first parish, was established in 1783 under the administration of secular clergymen. In the years that followed until 1877, the parishes of Canoan (Larena), Tigbawan (Lazi), by Augustinian and Recollect priests.

 

From 1854 to 1892, it was administered under the politico-militar province of Bohol. In 1892, it became part of Negros Oriental and was made its sub-province in 1901. On September 17, 1971, Siquijor was created as a province  by RA 6396 with Larena as the capital. In 1972 or a year later, the capital was transferred to Siquijor town by Proclamation 1075.

 

Since the olden times ppeople believe the island to be mysterious because of the presence of the folk healers and their practices of spiritualism and  up to these days people still come to witness the preparation of the brews and really try the medicinal powers of the herbs, from health problems to the potions for love and favor.

 

Above all, it’s the Siquijodnon’s welcoming smile and warmth that make every visitor’s stay delightful and unforgettable.